Wednesday 9 November 2011

Christmas....

Christmas is fast approaching but there are little, if any, signs of it here!  There are no shopping malls with Christmas Sale signs, there are no decorations in the street, there are no TV advertisements enticing me to buy gifts... I actually prefer not being assaulted with all the marketing hype that precedes Christmas. Besides, Christmas is more than gift giving to me.  

I've been thinking about what to do and where to be for Christmas and New Years.  Most of my colleagues have made plans to return to the States, so I'm guessing it could be pretty lonely here. I've been invited to join them in various locations, which state do I pick? ;-)

Mum and Dad asked if I wanted to come home for Christmas... to their disappointment I declined.  Twenty two flying hours is enough to deter me! Sorry... I do love you guys.  Really, I do.  It's just that the holiday break is short, only 3 weeks long, unlike the Australian summer break of 6 weeks. Hence I'm planning to visit "home" at the end of the school year, June / July, when we get 8 weeks off.  But if anyone would like to visit me here in Haiti, it'd be the perfect time!  I'd have plenty of free accommodation available with most of my colleagues away. ;-)
I'm guessing the flying hours may deter you too?  Not to mention the cost to get here!

So far my Christmas plans are to stay outside of the busy bustling city of Port-au-prince, in a quieter town.  A colleague of mine has offered her beautiful apartment to stay in.  There is a girl's orphanage next door.  I'm looking forward to spending time with the 20 girls and getting to know them more... maybe we could sing along with my guitar, do some baking... 


There is also an American family, who oversee the orphanage, that I can spend Christmas day with.

Now what about New Years' Eve?  Jill my house mate has invited me to join her in Pennsylvania with her family.  I'm still considering whether I want to spend $500 on the flight for a little more than a week away?  It's one possibility...

I do think it'd be good to get away for a little bit; if I don't I know I will default back to "work"!  I find it hard to switch my mind off and relax if I haven't traveled away from where I spend my everyday life... "home".  There are some beautiful destinations in Haiti that I could travel to... but I wouldn't do that alone.

What does everyone else have planned for the holiday break?

No comments:

Post a Comment