Saturday 16 July 2011

What will you be doing in Haiti?

I have been asked this question countless times by those curious about my adventure to Haiti.  The more I am asked this question, the more I realise how little I know!

The basics:

* I am moving to Haiti in August to live and teach in Port-au-prince for 2 years

* I will be teaching Grade 3 at Quisqueya Christian School, an English speaking school founded by American missionaries

* I will be working and living with other missionary teachers (including Americans, Canadians, Australians and Haitians)

* I will be paid a minimal wage (one-sixth of an Australian teacher's wage)

What do I hope to achieve?
I want to partner with God and His purpose for Haiti.  God is in the business of restoring people to Himself and bringing Hope to all nations.  On my first visit to Haiti I was overwhelmed and confronted by the needs of this poor nation; poverty is a complex issue and there is no quick fix for Haiti!

Despite the facts and daily reality for Haitians I believe my God is able to bring HOPE and change to this nation.  I want to be a part of His plan to rebuild the nation of Haiti.  I want to live life on purpose by being intentional about what I do each day; by showing God's love to the people I meet.  I want to encourage and motivate others to live their life for God's purpose and to use their unique talents to make a difference to the world around them.

Whether in Haiti, Australia or Timbucktoo... we CAN all make a difference!

2 comments:

  1. TWO YEARS?!?!?! I thought it was only one! When did this change? Gosh Kellyanne, you have such dedication. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... It's always been a 2 year contract. I'm taking it one day at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete