Sunday 2 October 2011

A waterfall in the city...

If you ask me for directions I could not tell you how to return to the peaceful and serene waterfall that is just minutes away from the bustling streets of Port-au-prince... I can recall taking a tap-tap for the first time, which I was nervous about and prayed fervently for safe travels!


I can also tell you that we walked for a couple of hours alongside bustling traffic, on dirt roads with open gutters and through street trash (which sadly, is not uncommon in Haiti); as we entered a village close to the waterfall the roads were quiet and we trekked through mud!


But the beauty we found at the end of our trek was well worth it!  I owe thanks for this adventure to my risk-taking colleague Josiah and his hand drawn map, as well as our local interpreter Fred.


The lovely Amber and Katie.  
(If you look closely Katie is wearing a bandage on her left ankle; the night before she injured herself in a volleyball game but still soldiered on the next morning! That's what I call a "go-getter".)


 Beautiful views along the way.



My favorite flower in Haiti: bougainvillea.  
I love the splash of colour it brings to Haiti.



Katie and I.  Katie is teaching music at Quisqueya.


We had to jump of streams of water as we got near to the waterfall. I was the only one who tried extremely hard to keep my runners dry!


Along these streams we came across locals bathing and others washing their clothes by hand.  
I secretly took this pic.


The waterfall.


Below... my adventurous colleagues Amber and Josiah, and our tour guide Fred; as they trekked higher Katie and I stayed at the base of the fall.


All are welcome to join us next time!! 














No comments:

Post a Comment