Monday 19 December 2011

What does love look like?

I've been pondering this question a lot.... What does love look like?

For the most part I've been pessimistic and wondered if love really exists! If it does exist what does it look like?  I've seen many counterfeits of love... and many attempts of people trying to love one another yet not succeeding.  Deep down I believe there is a unique kind of LOVE that everyone longs for and I'm not certain I've experienced that yet...

Growing up I learned a lot about God's love and there have been many times I've experienced him near; but I still think there's so much more of His love that I don't fully comprehend... or am yet to experience.  What does God's love feel like?  Look like?

After reading this blog entry, it is my hope that you too will be on the pursuit for REAL LOVE; a love that is intended to be received as well as given out to others.

1 Corinthians 13 is one of the most quoted passages on "LOVE"... But it sounds quite different to the love our pop culture says we need. It's a selfless love; not self-seeking.  It seeks the best for the other person.  Here it is from the Message Bible:

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut.
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first".
Doesn't fly off the handle
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't  revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies.


Are you beginning to think that this kind of LOVE is impossible?  
I don't have enough fingers to count each LOVE attribute (above) that I've failed to put into practice.  Maybe it's describing the perfect love of God, rather than a checklist for me... or maybe it's both!  After all, we are commanded to love others as Jesus loves us...

What does that look like?  I'm not exactly sure... but I'm praying God will show me.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you at Christmas as we celebrate God's love. KHF!

    ReplyDelete