Thursday 1 March 2012

The children I teach...

I haven't really blogged much about teaching in Haiti.  It's what I do the majority of the time!  You must be wondering whether I made it up.

I often read the blogs of other colleagues and they will have endearing comments about their students and their love of teaching...  It's not quite the picture-perfect story for me!  Teaching is hard... it's emotionally, mentally and physically exhausting!  Sometimes I wake up unmotivated to go to school... please don't get the wrong idea, I do enjoy teaching; that is, to a class of students who are respectful and want to learn. There are some beautiful students in my classroom... and then there are some that just tire me out!

I loathe disciplining students or giving them a stern word... of late this has been my story, everyday!  My main frustration is that my students love talking!!  This may be cultural... but probably universal.  Now, I don't expect a quiet classroom all the time, but I do expect respect when I'm talking; I do expect my instructions to be followed the first time, without back-chatting or defiance.  It's not all doom and gloom... I hope my next post is more positive.  Please,  send up a prayer for a tired teacher.

Some of the precious ones I'm talking about....






2 comments:

  1. I understand completely! That's why sharing your high and low at the end of each day is important. So you are forced to remember a good thing from each day. From one tired teacher to another... I think you're fantastic! Keep pushing them towards love & respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching can be such a thankless job. But you are a beautiful person and a super teacher. Look at their smiles. Look at their work. No matter how small it will reflect your hard work. A capital letter or full stop. A correct formation or a HFW. Their progress will be there. You just need to not be so hard on yourself and KHF.

    ReplyDelete