Saturday 9 June 2012

Things I enjoy...

No matter where you live, Haiti, Australia, the United States or Timbuktu, our lives tend to fall into a routine.  For most of us, it's work, eat and sleep... work, eat and sleep, with a few variations.  It's important to find time for recreation and the things you enjoy doing, just to break up the routine!  I knew this would be a challenge for me before coming to Haiti, because the things I enjoy would not be easily accessible here.  For example; going for a walk / run around the Barwon River.  This is one of my most favorite things to do.  It's where I have ME time and GOD time; it's where I find peace in the tranquil surroundings.  



The bustling city of Port-au-prince does not offer the same environment.  The opportunities I get to leave this city and visit the beautiful, green rural areas of Haiti are few and far between (once a month if I'm lucky!).  Why?  Transport isn't always available nor the company to travel with (I won't travel alone in Haiti as a white, female who does not speak the native language, fluently... and who has little sense of  direction).


Losing my independence has been one of the hardest things about living in Haiti.  Losing what's familiar to me and grieving (strong word!) over the things I can do back home which I cannot do here.
Was my joy placed in being able to do whatever I want, when I want to?

There are other things I enjoy other than finding a beautiful place in nature to be still.  They are; reading a Francine Rivers novel, playing guitar, learning to cook something new, playing with babies and small children, worshipping God through song and talking with a girlfriend.

Over the last few weeks (maybe even months) I've noticed that I've not made time for the things I enjoy!  I've retreated to the four walls of my bedroom.  But I don't want it to be this way next school year.  I'm looking forward to the R&R in Australia and gaining back some of my independence.  I know that returning to Haiti will at first be difficult and I will need to make some changes, and I'll need the support of others to keep me accountable.  Kind of like a New Year's resolution...

Here's my list of changes....
  • Start reading books unrelated to work!  An intriguing novel.  Read each night before going to bed.  Buy a kindle?
  • Take up guitar lessons again.
  • Invite someone for dinner once a week and cook something new! 
  • Find some small children to hang out with (the cuddly kind and those that don't backchat... lol).  Babysit for someone?
  • Skype home more often; schedule regular Skype dates with family and friends (even if it means waking up an indecent hour!)
  • Get more sleep!  Eat well!  Exercise!  Laugh more!
Let me know if you'd like to sign up and help!

No comments:

Post a Comment