Thursday 4 August 2011

Road rules in Haiti

1. Drivers, squeeze in wherever you can and beep your horn to push through.

2. Don't give way to pedestrians, they will dodge you.

3. Honk, honk, honk... yes, honk those horns for any reason at all!!  Short, sharp honks... long and loud honks.

Yes, it's this beautiful symphony of horns that wakes me up each morning and continues throughout the day. I'm living beside a very busy street.  This time there are no roosters to wake me up; instead I am woken up daily by the sound of traffic (which includes trucks on a regular street) and the constant honking of horns. Wake up call begins at sunrise around 5:30am.  I continue to drop in and out of sleep til about 7am.  I'm sure I'll appreciate the wake up call once school starts back; I'll need to be at school by 7:15am.

2 comments:

  1. Toot toot! Just as long as you don't have to get up early - it's ok to wake up early. But maybe not 5:30am! Get some earplugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha! Thony once told me that honking is not considered rude (like it is here in the States) but instead, is used as a way to say, "Hey, I'm here"

    I miss Haiti after reading this.

    ReplyDelete