Tuesday 2 August 2011

Welcome to Haiti!

I have arrived safely in Haiti and I have a few stories to tell already!

Firstly the flight from Denver to Fort Lauderdale was a little scary. Towards the end of the flight a middle aged woman who was sitting in the opposite isle to me was hunched over and appeared lifeless. Her friends went in a panic and called out for help.  There was a doctor on the flight who came to her aid and the airline crew gave the passenger an oxygen mask. I began praying for the woman and her friends.  I was thankful she recovered.

On the same flight, as we were descending to land and had almost touched down the pilot suddenly accelarated into the air again and continued flying for 1 more minutes with no explanation.  I wanted off this flight!  Too much excitement for one day.  We eventually landed and afterwards I heard the pilot say to another passenger that he lost sight of the runway in the storm. (Not sure how believable that is? All I saw of the storm was some light rain).  Thank you God for a safe landing.

On my connecting flight to Port-au-prince this new adventure started to hit home; it was becoming real. On arrival in Haiti I was picked up by the school driver, Roger, who delivered me to my temporary apartment at the school.  As we drove to the school I saw many tent cities, some made of tarp and others made of iron sheets and wood.  It was then that the 700,000 homeless I'd previously written about became more than a number.  I thought to myself, "do people really live like this God?"  And this isn't my first visit to Haiti.  Why is it that when things are out of sight they are often out of our mind?  Shame on me.

On arrival at the school I was greeted with a huge hug from Miquette.  She works at Quisqueya Christian School and also founded TeacHaiti; the school that many of you donated towards the purchase of school furniture.  I'm staying at her apartment for a few nights until my apartment has been cleaned and is ready to  move in.

As we left the school grounds to get dinner I tripped over the concrete steps in the dark and had a good laugh. Miquette drove me to a lovely restaurant at Hotel Ibolele for dinner which has an awesome night view of the mountainous terrain of Haiti (pictures will follow once my camera arrives in Haiti).

To end the evening I'm typing up my first post in Haiti with my feet raised on the chair.  Why? Because 
thirty minutes ago I turned on the light in my temporary room and a mouse ran behind the bed. AAAGGGHHH!!!  I hate mice regardless of their nationality! Not sure how I will sleep tonight without dreaming of a mouse crawling over me. Miquette was aplogetic about the mouse and I told her we have mice in Australia too!

Lastly I want to say (for my mum) that the place I'm staying at is clean and has running water; despite the visit from a furry friend.  It could be worse, Miquette said to expect to see rats on the school grounds!  GREAT!!!  CAN'T WAIT!! Good news is that they are not in the apartments. Not yet!

If you're sending up a prayer for me, please pray against fear.

Good night x

(Posting this 9 hours later.  I lost internet connection just before I was about to post this last night). 

2 comments:

  1. So good to be reading your first blog entry from Haiti! So thankful for MIquette. Hope you've slept ok. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. IBOLELE!!!! I LOVE THAT PLACEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete